• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding contract problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kelli28

Hi, I live in San Diego, CA. If anyone can help with these questions I would really appreciate it!!

My wedding is scheduled for September 6th, just a couple weeks from now. Last week, our venue was shut down by the city due to a permit violation. Thus far, we've written two checks - one to the property owner ($3,000) and another to the venue's wedding coordinator ($9,000). The wedding coordinator hires the caterer, florist, DJ, etc. We do not have a written contract with the coordinator.

I have already recovered the $3,000 from the property owner. The wedding coordinator has offered us some alternative venues, which we've looked at, but my fiance and I don't like them! With only two weeks to go, we are in a real bind. I work for a major hotel chain and they have kindly offered us a discount to have our wedding at the hotel, but we will need to use their in-house services. My fiance and I want to request a full refund from the coordinator. The coordinator says that she's already paid the vendors and it is too late to back out. She says we need to pick one of the alternative venues. If we move forward with the hotel, we will probably have to sue the coordinator to recover that $9,000. I guess my question is, do we have a legal leg to stand on? I don't think we can afford to lose that money!

Thanks so much,

Kelli

Mass_Shyster

Hi, I live in San Diego, CA. If anyone can help with these questions I would really appreciate it!!

My wedding is scheduled for September 6th, just a couple weeks from now. Last week, our venue was shut down by the city due to a permit violation. Thus far, we've written two checks - one to the property owner ($3,000) and another to the venue's wedding coordinator ($9,000). The wedding coordinator hires the caterer, florist, DJ, etc. We do not have a written contract with the coordinator.

I have already recovered the $3,000 from the property owner. The wedding coordinator has offered us some alternative venues, which we've looked at, but my fiance and I don't like them! With only two weeks to go, we are in a real bind. I work for a major hotel chain and they have kindly offered us a discount to have our wedding at the hotel, but we will need to use their in-house services. My fiance and I want to request a full refund from the coordinator. The coordinator says that she's already paid the vendors and it is too late to back out. She says we need to pick one of the alternative venues. If we move forward with the hotel, we will probably have to sue the coordinator to recover that $9,000. I guess my question is, do we have a legal leg to stand on? I don't think we can afford to lose that money!

Thanks so much,

Kelli
There's no way to tell without reading the contract you entered with the coordinator. For $9000, You should take a ride to an attorney's office and pay a few hundred to find your options.

Note: Bring your contract.

Kelli28

Thank you SteveF, unfortunately we did not sign a contract with the wedding coordinator. I've got nothing in writing.

Mass_Shyster

Thank you SteveF, unfortunately we did not sign a contract with the wedding coordinator. I've got nothing in writing.
Then go to the lawyer without the contract. It is possible that you can demand the coordinator either return your money, or fulfill the agreement (which is impossible).

divona2000

Do you have a copy of the cashed $9,000 check?

Any written (paper, email, text, fax) communications between you and the wedding coordinator at all? Discussing music, colors, flowers, food, etc.

What about the various people the coordinator hired?
Have you personally talked to them, have anything in writing from them?

Did you have a written contract with the property owner, that may have included the wedding coordinators services?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">