• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding dress dispute with bridal shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlyl45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I purchased a wedding dress. When I tried on the dress and like all wedding dresses it was to big so what they do is clip the back of it to show you how the dress will look on you if it fits you properly. I liked it so I purchased the dress. When the dress arrived I paid $212 for alterations to make the dress look like it did when they clipped the back. They were unable to achieve that same look as the dress had a zipper and they said if they took it in anymore it would compromise the zipper. I had signed a one sided contract that states all sales are final. I asked them to remove the zipper and I would pay for a corset to be put in but they said there was not enough time as my wedding was in 1 week. I offered to buy another dress but they said they could not get another dress ready. I left that shop and the next day went to another bridal shop and purchased a second dress (6 days before the wedding). The second shop altered the 2nd dress and had it ready the day before my wedding. The first bridal shop is a national company and they have offered me $200 and want the dress back. I paid $472 for the dress and $212 for alternations which is an independent contractor that works in the bridal shop and you pay the alternation people directly. It was not the alternation's ladies fault that they sold me a dress and could not be make to look like what they showed me. What is my recourse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no recourse. You bought a dress that you KNEW was the wrong size. The shop was not responsible for the alterations.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I purchased a wedding dress. When I tried on the dress and like all wedding dresses it was to big so what they do is clip the back of it to show you how the dress will look on you if it fits you properly. I liked it so I purchased the dress. When the dress arrived I paid $212 for alterations to make the dress look like it did when they clipped the back. They were unable to achieve that same look as the dress had a zipper and they said if they took it in anymore it would compromise the zipper. I had signed a one sided contract that states all sales are final. I asked them to remove the zipper and I would pay for a corset to be put in but they said there was not enough time as my wedding was in 1 week. I offered to buy another dress but they said they could not get another dress ready. I left that shop and the next day went to another bridal shop and purchased a second dress (6 days before the wedding). The second shop altered the 2nd dress and had it ready the day before my wedding. The first bridal shop is a national company and they have offered me $200 and want the dress back. I paid $472 for the dress and $212 for alternations which is an independent contractor that works in the bridal shop and you pay the alternation people directly. It was not the alternation's ladies fault that they sold me a dress and could not be make to look like what they showed me. What is my recourse?
Sell your unused dress on ebay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">