• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Reception Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kclaudio

What is the name of your state? Illinois
In May of 2000, my fiance and I put $1000 down on a reception site for our wedding. We wanted to have our reception there because there was a huge "Brides Room" and since we were going to have a larger #of bridesmids (11) and we were also going to change clothes and perform a choreographed dance number, this was important to us. Withing about 4 mos. we started having a tough time communicating with the banquet co. they would not return our calls ect. We started getting worried and payed a visit --at that time we were told that the woman who book our wedding was fired and that she falsely informed us that we would have exclusive use of the bridal room that we were paying $250 to use. We were told that we would be sharing the room with another bridal party. I then told them nicely and even wrote a letter stating that if we were not going to have exclusive use of that room we would have to look elsewhere and we would like our deposit back. They told us that it was not their fault that we were mis-informed by their former employee and they would not return our deposit. We have corresponded via certified mail and have nor yet received our deposit back. Please advise.

L

louiebingo

As they say its in the details.

Does your contract say exclusive use of the brides room?

If not then there is nothing you can do. Its just the cost of doing business in America by hiring the cheapest workers! You have to look over their shoulder and double check their work!

K

kclaudio

No, the contract does not state "exclusive" --when we booked the room, the "sales associate" told us that we needed to pay for it that day, or the other bride who was having her wedding in the other banquet room could request and pay for it, and that would leave us with no bridal room to use. We were lead to believe that only one bride could pay for and use that room.

L

louiebingo

Sorry, you have nothing to hold them accountable for.

Its no different then a rental agreement in which a landlord says you can use the backyard or garage, then all of a sudden one day he starts to put his junk in the garage or the other tenants throw all their stuff in "your" yard, or there are 2 parking spaces and the other tenants buys a second car and you have to park in the street.

With nothing in writing guarenteeing you the exclusive use of yard, garage, parking space, or brides room, what can you do?

Last edited:

JETX

Sorry, but by responding to 'Louie' you have become a victim of his 'troll' trap. He is a forum troll who has NO legal experience or knowledge. In fact, he is a welfare bum who has been kicked off the forum many, many times.

So, the real answer to your situation:
Anytime you lease or contract for space, there is an inherent assumption that you will have exlusive use of that space.... unless the agreement says otherwise (can you imagine leasing an apartment then finding out that you are sharing it!).
So, the first question that comes to mind is... does your agreement detail any requirements or process for cancellation and/or refund?? If so, follow it. If not, then send them a very nice, detailed letter stating that you were told that you would have exclusive use and that you expect to have it. Give them a specific time (10 days?) to confirm your having exlusive use.... or to refund your deposit. Send it certified RRR. If they refuse or fail to respond, you may need to contact your local small claims court.

L

louiebingo

Anytime you lease or contract for space, there is an inherent assumption that you will have exlusive use of that space....
----------------------

You obvisouly NEVER have been in a wedding mill factory hall, where they can crank out 10 weddings at a time. So every inch of sapce is used, all the bathrooms are jammed since one wedding leaves and the other parties are standing in the hall waiting to get in, and there is no where to change into a Tux for us DJ's, or even use the service elevator to move our equipment.

So for them to overbook the brides room is nothing unusual for me to hear.

These wedding mills are horrible places to work.

L

louiebingo

If i am wrong then she will win a small claims suit against them.

It is my understanding you pay the the reception room, and the food, drinks, and the use of the bridal room. Exculsivity is of course the issue. It SHOULD be, but i know its not always the case.

I personally would not want to dj her wedding , because if she had to share her room with another bride no one would be happy, and it would make my job a lot harder, to give her a great party and make this her special day.

Last edited:

JETX

Blewie: Before you start talking about 'working' anything, you need to get a job!!
Get one, then you might also gain some true life-experiences.... and not just of how to scam the welfare system.

Last post to you.... you have already diverted far too much of my time on this thread.

K

kclaudio

JETX - Thanks for the advice. I did indeed specifically ask about the exclusivity of the Bridal Room because of its importance to me --I would not have booked my wedding there otherwise. I understand that some facilities do offer an atmosphere where everything is shared, but this facility stressed the fact that they were different from the common banquet facility-- That is until they had my $$, then everything changed! I have already sent the detailed letter (RRR) and received no reply. So, I guess it is off to small claims court I go. Oh, and I will beware of being captured by "Troll Traps" in the future. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">