• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding venue going bust???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

r1s1ngstar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada

I am aware that your advice may not work for me in Canada but here goes. I signed a basic contract with my wedding venue which listed prices and services to be provided. My wedding is in four weeks and I am very concerned that something fishy is going on. Their phone message indicates that the # is out of order and the manager seems to have disappeared. I have sent numerous emails and the only time an email gets sent to me is when I say I'm driving out there to see what's going on. Also, the emails are coming from a different person and he hasn't identified himself as to who he is. They told me that they have been closed for the month of August and would open Sept 4th. I emailed and said I was going out Sept 4th and now they tell me they are closed for two more weeks. First it was because of septic tank issues, then a reservation system problem, now they are saying they are changing owners. I have asked them to be honest and tell me whether or not they are able to accomodate my wedding and so far, no response. At this point, I have not even tried my wedding meal.

My question is, can i back out of the contract at this point and expect to get my $2500 deposit back? Technically, they have not broken the contract but they are really avoiding me and are not answering any questions. I am worried they are just riding the storm until they can file for bankruptcy. Also, approximately $5000 has already been paid to them by my guests who have already reserved their rooms.

Any advice you could give would be very helpful and appreciated. As you can well understand, I am very stressed over this matter.

Thanks so much.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada

I am aware that your advice may not work for me in Canada but here goes. I signed a basic contract with my wedding venue which listed prices and services to be provided. My wedding is in four weeks and I am very concerned that something fishy is going on. Their phone message indicates that the # is out of order and the manager seems to have disappeared. I have sent numerous emails and the only time an email gets sent to me is when I say I'm driving out there to see what's going on. Also, the emails are coming from a different person and he hasn't identified himself as to who he is. They told me that they have been closed for the month of August and would open Sept 4th. I emailed and said I was going out Sept 4th and now they tell me they are closed for two more weeks. First it was because of septic tank issues, then a reservation system problem, now they are saying they are changing owners. I have asked them to be honest and tell me whether or not they are able to accomodate my wedding and so far, no response. At this point, I have not even tried my wedding meal.

My question is, can i back out of the contract at this point and expect to get my $2500 deposit back? Technically, they have not broken the contract but they are really avoiding me and are not answering any questions. I am worried they are just riding the storm until they can file for bankruptcy. Also, approximately $5000 has already been paid to them by my guests who have already reserved their rooms.

Any advice you could give would be very helpful and appreciated. As you can well understand, I am very stressed over this matter.

Thanks so much.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but we really really really don't do Canadian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">