• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Videographer Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iangeles

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX

My wife and I got married in CA, but we live in TX. We hired a videographer in CA. Anyway, she signed a contract where the videographer basically states he has all rights to content and material. We aren't disputing this. The part that we are disputing is that when he was done with the video and he sent us the preview video to make changes and comments he said it would cost additional money to make those changes. We bought the package with enhanced editing thinking we could make editing changes on how we wanted it to be. He came back with "even my most expensive package doesn't allow for custom editing. Any, custom editing would be an additional cost." After, he told me this. I called my credit card company and disputed the final payment to him. My two questions are, "with me disputing the final payment, can he sue me for the balance even though he never gave me the final product?" and " Do I have any legal claim to where I can sue him to get my initial downpayment of $1800. for not giving me the product I wanted?"

JETX

iangeles said:
"with me disputing the final payment, can he sue me for the balance even though he never gave me the final product?"
Yes. He can sue you for anything.

and " Do I have any legal claim to where I can sue him to get my initial downpayment of $1800. for not giving me the product I wanted?"
Based on your post.... no.

iangeles

What are some options do you think I have? I obviously do not want to pay this guy any more money and at the same time I don't want to lose out on 1800 bucks.

JETX

iangeles said:
I obviously do not want to pay this guy any more money and at the same time I don't want to lose out on 1800 bucks.
Clearly, you can't get everything you want.
It would appear from your own post that your 'understanding' of the contract is unrealistic. You think you are owed a custom edited video of your wedding, the videographer says your are not. If the contract doesn't specify, the 'normal' (unedited) will likely be considered sufficient by a court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">