• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At what age can a child sleep in a bunk bed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James_Marley

My daughter recently turned four and needed a different bed. Since I still had my loft bed from when I was little and it still looks almost like new, I set it up for her. Now someone told me that it is illegal to have someone under the age of six on the top bunk of a bed. Is this true or what actually is the law regarding this? When I was her age we started using bunk beds around the same age, and many of the parents I know that use them have kids under six that sleep on the top bunk. So what's guideline?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

sandyclaus

My daughter recently turned four and needed a different bed. Since I still had my loft bed from when I was little and it still looks almost like new, I set it up for her. Now someone told me that it is illegal to have someone under the age of six on the top bunk of a bed. Is this true or what actually is the law regarding this? When I was her age we started using bunk beds around the same age, and many of the parents I know that use them have kids under six that sleep on the top bunk. So what's guideline?

I don't think this is so much a legal issue as much as one of common sense and safety. According to a number of sources, they all agreed that children age six and under should not sleep on the top bunk of a bunk bed.

Other safety suggestions included:
  • Make sure the top bunk has guard rails on all four sides of the bed.
  • Make sure the mattress fits tightly against all four sides of the bed.
  • Check regularly to make sure the frame of the bed is solid.
  • The ladder should be attached safely to the bed.
  • Look for a label on a bunk bed that says it meets safety standards.
  • Teach children to always use the ladder to get up or down.
  • Don't let children play on or under bunk beds.
  • Allow only one person on the top bunk.

I did find the following information with regard to instructions and labeling requirements on bunk beds for sale in the U.S.:

Title 16 - Commercial Practices

16 C.F.R. PART 1513—REQUIREMENTS FOR BUNK BEDS

§ 1513.6 Instructions

Instructions shall accompany each bunk bed set, and shall include the following information.
(a) Size of mattress and foundation. The length and width of the intended mattress and foundation shall be clearly stated, either numerically or in conventional terms such as twin size, twin extra-long, etc. In addition, the maximum thickness of the mattress and foundation required for compliance with §1513.3 (a)(5) and (b)(1) of this part shall be stated.
(b) Safety warnings. The instructions shall provide the following safety warnings:
(1) Do not allow children under 6 years of age to use the upper bunk.
(2) Use guardrails on both sides of the upper bunk.
(3) Prohibit horseplay on or under beds.
(4) Prohibit more than one person on upper bunk.
(5) Use ladder for entering or leaving upper bunk.
(6) If the bunk bed will be placed next to a wall, the guardrail that runs the full length of the bed should be placed against the wall to prevent entrapment between the bed and the wall. (This applies only to bunk beds without two full-length guardrails.)
Hope this helps.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I know of NO LAW that states when a child can use a bunkbed.

James_Marley

Thanks for the responses so far.

Sandyclaus, I did happen to find this same article which when I read it I came to a same conclusion. This seemed more like regulations for manufacturers to print safety guidlines for the products (post year 2000), but they are recommendations for consumer use, not laws. However, this is the same article that was shown to me by the other party suggesting this is law for consumers too. So therein lies my concern.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the responses so far.

Sandyclaus, I did happen to find this same article which when I read it I came to a same conclusion. This seemed more like regulations for manufacturers to print safety guidlines for the products (post year 2000), but they are recommendations for consumer use, not laws. However, this is the same article that was shown to me by the other party suggesting this is law for consumers too. So therein lies my concern.
Tell the other party that the next time you are writing a manual for bunk beds, you'll make sure to put that note in there, just as the requirement states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">