• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do when BestBuy is forcing me to pay for a new computer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yoyo12314

Dear Sir, Madam,

I bought a computer at BestBuy in February 2013 for $799.99 as well as a complete 1-year warranty for $80 which brought me to an amount of $883.99, + $79.20 of tax = $ 963.19.

Around one year later, a screw got loose and I brought them my computer for a quick fix as my warranty was about to expire. At the store, they told me that they would send my computer to the repair facility and send it back to me when it's ready. Also, they made me sign a paper that said they would not be responsible in case of any data loss in case they couldn't fix my computer and had to replace it.

A few days later, I received a call from their part saying that I applied for a replacement, therefore I explained I didn't want/need a new computer and I just wanted mine back, even if they hadn't fixed the screw, and they said it was ok, but that I couldn't get my files because my hard-drive was broken (it was not broken when I gave them my computer).

I went to the store to get it and the person told me that it was impossible to have my computer back because the paper I signed said so (which is wrong), and suggested a replacement. I picked a computer with the same specifications as mine and the same price but when I went to the cashier, the person told me that my computer cost less because it had lost value and I had to pay the difference : $270! Then I asked to see the manager, who only said that it was their policy.

The owner of the account at BestBuy is my mother, she took it because she didn't want to fight. So I asked for a copy of the papers I had signed and they refused to gave me any proof of my signature.

So, in the end, I had to pay $799 for a computer, $80 for a warranty (that didn't work as a warranty) and $270 for the new computer which I don't need which is a total of $1149.

They are literally stealing my money and forcing me to purchase a computer that is totally useless for me without my content on it - I had all my business documents and now it seems that I've just lost years of work.

I purchased a warranty to prevent this sort of thing from happening, and in the end, I am finding myself in the total opposite situation. Why can't they just give me my computer back? I find this very suspicious as it was working perfectly fine and that "problem" with the screw was not even that serious, I just brought it to make sure it wouldn't get worse once the warranty had expired. Have they lost/broken my computer? Have they sold the pieces? I don't know what's going on but I know I can't accept it.

Now, I have this computer at home, still in its box, never opened, and I am not willing to open it. What can I do to help my case? Is what they are doing even legal? How come they refused to give me a copy of the contract I signed?

Today, I am asking for your help as I have already called the customer support and the complaints departments and nobody seems to be able to help me and this all seems hopeless.

I look forward to reaching a quick resolution to this matter and thank you for your assistance.
Sincerely,

Dave1952

I'm amazed that you brought a computer in for service because of a loose screw.
I'm surprised that you did not back up all of your data before giving them the computer. You clearly knew that you might lose your data during the service procedures.
Best Buy sells many different types of warranty plans, so you must refer to the terms of your plan to find out about the Replacement of your computer under warranty. I'm surprised that you're being charged anything for a comparable, replacement computer and I suggest that you read your warranty carefully.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Dear Sir, Madam,

I bought a computer at BestBuy in February 2013 for $799.99 as well as a complete 1-year warranty for $80 which brought me to an amount of $883.99, + $79.20 of tax = $ 963.19.

Around one year later, a screw got loose and I brought them my computer for a quick fix as my warranty was about to expire. At the store, they told me that they would send my computer to the repair facility and send it back to me when it's ready. Also, they made me sign a paper that said they would not be responsible in case of any data loss in case they couldn't fix my computer and had to replace it.

A few days later, I received a call from their part saying that I applied for a replacement, therefore I explained I didn't want/need a new computer and I just wanted mine back, even if they hadn't fixed the screw, and they said it was ok, but that I couldn't get my files because my hard-drive was broken (it was not broken when I gave them my computer).

I went to the store to get it and the person told me that it was impossible to have my computer back because the paper I signed said so (which is wrong), and suggested a replacement. I picked a computer with the same specifications as mine and the same price but when I went to the cashier, the person told me that my computer cost less because it had lost value and I had to pay the difference : $270! Then I asked to see the manager, who only said that it was their policy.

The owner of the account at BestBuy is my mother, she took it because she didn't want to fight. So I asked for a copy of the papers I had signed and they refused to gave me any proof of my signature.

So, in the end, I had to pay $799 for a computer, $80 for a warranty (that didn't work as a warranty) and $270 for the new computer which I don't need which is a total of $1149.

They are literally stealing my money and forcing me to purchase a computer that is totally useless for me without my content on it - I had all my business documents and now it seems that I've just lost years of work.

I purchased a warranty to prevent this sort of thing from happening, and in the end, I am finding myself in the total opposite situation. Why can't they just give me my computer back? I find this very suspicious as it was working perfectly fine and that "problem" with the screw was not even that serious, I just brought it to make sure it wouldn't get worse once the warranty had expired. Have they lost/broken my computer? Have they sold the pieces? I don't know what's going on but I know I can't accept it.

Now, I have this computer at home, still in its box, never opened, and I am not willing to open it. What can I do to help my case? Is what they are doing even legal? How come they refused to give me a copy of the contract I signed?

Today, I am asking for your help as I have already called the customer support and the complaints departments and nobody seems to be able to help me and this all seems hopeless.

I look forward to reaching a quick resolution to this matter and thank you for your assistance.
Sincerely,
Your first mistake was ever buying anything from Best Buy. :cool:

Where was this 'loose screw' located? What kind of computer, laptop or desktop? Most computers come with a year warranty, so not sure why you purchased a year's warranty from BB (but I suspect the salesperson got a spiff off of that; pure profits for the store).

The first time you mention 'attorneys' to the store, the store will stop dealing with you and tell you to deal with their legal department.

Proserpina

Dear Sir, Madam,

Sincerely,

Please clarify - this is your mother's BestBuy account, and she basically agreed to their terms and accepted their suggestion?

BL

If it bought on your mother's account and returned for repair under warranty on your mother's account ,then She could file a complaint with the local Office of Attorney General-consumer Affairs. Call them up and ask them to send a complaint form to file out and sent back to them.The will forward it to the contact person they have for that company. You will have to wait sometime and may even get a call from that contact person.

What do you want to happen to resolve this ?

Obviously you signed a paper knowing your data could be lost,your not getting your computer back.

Ask for the return of the difference they said you had to pay,call it even and enjoy your new PC.

If you don't want it ask that you return it and be refunded all your money.

Don't get your hopes up that will happen.

FlyingRon

I've never seen a computer repair, certainly not the Geek Squad nor Apple that didn't tell you that they're not responsible for your data.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">