• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes a breach of contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkgoff

I live in West Virginia and last year I purchased a purebred show dog from a breeder that is also from West Virginia. Before I made the down payment and signed a co-ownership contract (which gave her unlimited rights to reclaim the dog at any time for almost any reason) we decided upon a name that the dog would be registered under. After signing the contract, she sent me the registration papers with a name other than what we had agreed upon. That agreed name is written on the top of our contract as part of the dog's identification information. I made all the payments on time to her. She lost the last check and I had to replace it but she has not cashed it. She has since reclaimed the dog and feels the contract is binding and she owes me nothing. She also wants me to sign over the AKC papers to her so she can "place" the dog. The contract doesn't cover this stipulation at all, only the physical ownership. I have over $2000 in show expenses for this dog.
Do I have a case??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kkemper37 said:
What did the contract actually say? Did it mention the name of the dog or anything else besides her being able to reclaim it? If it doesn't say anything about your surrendering your co-ownership, then you shouldn't have to surrender them. But what do you mean by having a case? What do you want? Do you want possession of the dog? If she is placing it, then it sounds like you could get it. If you want money back, it doesn't sound like you made provisions for that. Sounds like a very one-sided contract.

My response:

Good-bye, kkemper37. You're not listening, so I'm having your membership cancelled.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">