• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guessin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama I recently signed a contract to have metal roofing installed on a recently purchased home in Birmingham Alabama. The contract stated that 1/2 the money was to be paid upfront and the other 1/2 at completion of job. The very 1st day the contractor needed $350.00 more. The next day the amount had risen to $1400.00 and before he left $1700.00 . When i refused to give any more money he left me with a roof with much of it exposed to the rain! At that time he was in posession of $2,850.00 of my money which as the contract stated was to buy metal. The roofing was never ordered. The only amount of my money that was spent was $200.00 to hire 4 men for 5 hours each to remove shingles.He is STILL in posession of $2,650.00 of MY MONEY!! He refuses to answer my calls and tells me to sue him in court , that he has been there before! My question is : Can i get a judgement against him in small claims court and then go from there and attach his income tax refund?

racer72

Can i get a judgement against him in small claims court
It appears you have a good case.

and attach his income tax refund?
If you are considering his federal tax refund, the answer is no. The IRS rules do not allow for garnishment of tax refunds.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You can also contact Troy King's office, (Attorney General of Alabama).
The Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs provides three primary services for the State of Alabama and its residents: (1) serves as a mediator of consumers' complaints that relate to a retail transaction; (2) investigates allegations of fraud or illegal practices by a business which may violate state or certain federal laws; and (3) offers information and consumer education to the public about how to avoid becoming a victim of fraud. The Attorney General cannot serve as an individual's private attorney or provide consumers with legal advice. However, in many instances, we are successful in mediating complaints to the mutual satisfaction and benefit of the consumer and the business.

If circumstances warrant, the Attorney General can initiate legal action, either civil or criminal, to represent the interests of the State of Alabama andchrome://informenter/skin/marker.png to enforce the various laws designed to protect consumers from con men and unscrupulous practices by businesses. When such action is taken, the Attorney General is authorized to seek restitution for the affected consumers; as well as injunctive relief, civil penalties and criminal penalties.

On behalf of Attorney General King, we hope you find our web pages informative and useful in responding to current situations you may be facing and in making future consumer decisions.
Alabama Attorney General - Consumer Affairs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">