• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do about my contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skpsgirl

What is the name of your state?Florida
I just moved into my new built home 3months ago there has been problems after problems. We addressed some issues before we did our final signing and was assured that everything would be taken care of. Unfortunately none of that has happen. I paid to have a drain put into my laundry room in case the washing machine ever flooded, well our house flooded and the drain did no good at all it flooded my whole house. My contractor said I needed to file a cliam with my insurance but that was the reason I paid to have this drain put in He in return told me the drain was only for when I wanted to mop my floor and the water left over it would go to the drain. The drain itself was not sloped or indented into the concrete the way it was suppose to be we addressed this earlier on and was told not to worry the drain would not allow flooding to occur. (WELL IT DID) Then I had cabinets that had been damaged and was suppose to be replaced the following week and that has been 3 months ago they will not return our calls after several attempts I have left messages. I let the cabinet people know that they needed to contact me or I was going to notify the BBB and when they returned my call it was a nasty message saying if I wanted to go that route I wouldn't get my cabinets for 6 more months and they did not like to be threatened. During the flooding it ruined some personal items and etc. I would just like some help in a good direction. Also we contacted our bank who financed the loan and they said there is nothing they can do to help us either. How is this possible for people to just crap all over people and take advantage of them and us do nothing in return.

Last edited:

Welcome to the wonderful world of contracting. At least you have gained some valuable experience in how to deal with them. Be ruthless in negotiating with them, insist on your own payment schedule (not theirs) and never ever pay the final payment until all of the work has been completed to your satisfaction.

You could try small claims court, but don't expect too much. A lot of these guys protect themselves through a number of dummy corporations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">