• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if you break an apartment lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighMount

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, here's the thing. I got divorced recently. i can't pay my house payment without a roomate. My best friend is PERFECT. But, he just signed a new lease. He checked with them, and of course they scare him into not moving.

I've broken SEVERL leases before (no comments please) with no reprocussions at all; only "threats" from the apartment complex. I told him it was almost sure that nothing would happen if he did. It's not like he "financed" the money where they can put it on his credit. His rent isn't even that much, $400/month, so I dont see any way they would come after him.

1) Is it legal for them to put it on his credit since it isnt even a "debt"

2) What are the chances they would sue him for the remainder of his lease? Thanks

djohnson

It is a debt because he signed an agreement/contract. They can and may sue him for the remainder of the rent for the term of the contract or until it is rerented to someone else.

BelizeBreeze

HighMount said:

Ok, here's the thing. I got divorced recently. i can't pay my house payment without a roomate. My best friend is PERFECT. But, he just signed a new lease. He checked with them, and of course they scare him into not moving.

I've broken SEVERL leases before (no comments please) with no reprocussions at all; only "threats" from the apartment complex. I told him it was almost sure that nothing would happen if he did. It's not like he "financed" the money where they can put it on his credit. His rent isn't even that much, $400/month, so I dont see any way they would come after him.
And, of course, you're willing to foot his legal bills, Court costs AND any judgement against him right?
HighMount said:
yes, it's a debt and yes, it's legal.
HighMount said:
2) What are the chances they would sue him for the remainder of his lease? Thanks
Why don't you call them and ask.

And by the way, tell your friend he needs a new friend. :rolleyes:

HighMount

BelizeBreeze said:
And, of course, you're willing to foot his legal bills, Court costs AND any judgement against him right?

yes, it's a debt and yes, it's legal.

Why don't you call them and ask.

And by the way, tell your friend he needs a new friend. :rolleyes:
f\/ck YOU!!! DICK!

Last edited:

dahvaio

California:

How can rent be a legal debt? My credit score should be a lot higher due to the years of "DEBT" I mean rent that I have been paying for years...

mmorales324

well he can break the lease but it can go on his credit. i work with credit reports daily and see broken leases on there all the time. the only thing is that if he decides to move out later to another apartment it may be held against him in getting another apartment.i dont believe they sue for broken leases but again it can hurt him if he tries to get another apartment.
HighMount said:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">