• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtrent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I went to a rent-to-own company to get a laptop for school. Before I signed the contract, I specifically told the sale person that I wanted a new one and that I was not going to pay that kind of money for a used one. He kind of gave me a smile and went to the back warehouse area. He came back and told me he would have to contact another store to get a new laptop. I have an HP Presario. He made a call and said that another store has one. I told him that I wanted written proof that the laptop is new. He printed the contract and highlighted the area where it said it is new. That was in August. I have made my payments on time. The last couple of days I have had some problems with logging on my internet. So I started to question how old is this laptop. Now my internet problems weren't because of the laptop, it was my router. But I did check to see how old this laptop is and found that the creation date is exactly Thursday, November 02, 2006, 7:18:33 AM. I looked in the program files, then went through properties and found the creation date. I am planning on having an independant computer technician verify that I am correct in determining the age of this laptop and put it in writing. Now, I would like to know what my recourse could be.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

What does the date the computer was "created" and being new have to do with each other. If the computer had not been sold, rented, used, or abused prior to you receiving it, it is new.

Sweett33

I was going to say the same thing about the date of creation, not being definitive as to being relative to the date you purchased it. It may have sat in a warehouse, not in use, until you bought it. I would also say the real question here is whether the problems you experienced are covered under warranty, if they are they should honor the warranty; if not under warranty then I would think you would have to prove your problems are a result of the laptop being used and not new, if you can't prove that I think you have to let the new/old issue go because it is not relative unless you can prove otherwise. Good luck, I've bought many laptops and it doesn't take long for them to go bad.

Last edited:
Well evidently. It is new cause its never been opened. Although it is out of date. But it can be ANYTHING that could be 3 yrs or even 20 years old. Its new if it never been opened. By the shops standards. Its new!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">