• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is my responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zwthomp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I have a side job that I need insight on please! I fix phone screens for people. I'm not licensed through the state of Kansas nor do I contract with Iphone, HTC, Android etc.

My most recent fix I've ran into a problem with. It's an iPhone 6 and the front screen was broken so I said I could fix it for $200. I have experience and I've fixed handfulls of phones. I bought the new screen off of Amazon and while I waited for two day delivery I took the old screen off so when I hit the new screen in all I had to do was put it on.
Note: When they brought me the phone it was fully functional other than the cracked screen

Once it came I put it on the phone. It didn't work so it was a faulty screen. I returned the screen and hit a new one within two days. But to no avail because it didn't work either. I kept the "customer" up to date with everything going on so they didn't get discouraged. So with neither of the screens working they decided they wanted to take it to an, apple store. They took it to two different places and they both said the phone doesn't work and couldn't get it to display at all! They brought the phone back to me and I tried to diagnose the issue but didn't figure anything out.

Here's where it gets questionable. If I didn't respond almost right away they keep messaging me until I did. I want avoiding them at all either! They messaged me over and over starting to annoy me

My question is what am I liable for on their phone? Do I have to purchase them a new phone exactly like before? Or can I give them their phone back along with their money they spent to have it repaired by me and tell them to go bug someone else? I know what is morally the right thing to do but I don't want to buy a phone that cost $650+ that I only quoted them $200 for the screen replacement fix in the first place.

Last edited:

single317dad

You very likely damaged their phone while it was in your possession. I fix phones and tablets as well, and it happens to all of us from time to time. Last year I soldered a new battery into a tablet backward and fried the mainboard.

At the least, you're liable for the additional repair charges the customer will incur above and beyond getting their screen replaced. The screen was already broken, so that's not your responsibility. If they have $200 in additional repairs above the total cost of screen replacement, then that's what you should compensate them for.

Personally, I would offer to buy them an identical working phone and charge my normal fee for the screen repair, then I would use the broken phone for parts.

All that said, it's not unwise to negotiate. If the two parties can come to an agreement, then the specific numbers really don't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">