• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights as a tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShawnaMichelle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

On Friday evening my landlord knocked on my door to tell me that there is some kind of leak somewhere and they need to get into my bathroom. I let them in to check... and they ripped my bathroom apart. They took out the wall behind my shower, they ripped up my floor, there was insulation showing.. it was an absolute disaster.
I had to go out as I had previous plans. I left the door unlocked so they could get in and out.
When I got home late Friday night, everyone was gone. I went to my bathroom and it was still not put back together.
There was a note hanging on my shower telling me not to use my bathroom and that they would be back in the morning to fix it.
They left a key to the basement apartment in case I needed to use a bathroom.
I went there to use the restroom and it was a disaster. There were carpets ripped up and in the middle of the floor. Boards lying around everywhere that had nails sticking out of them, etc..
They came back the next day and didn't come into my unit until late afternoon. They put my bathroom back together and had the water on for 10 minutes before turning it back off because the leak wasn't fixed.
They came to me later and said they would be back next week to fix it and to hold on to the key to the other apartment.
It is now late Wednesday night and I have heard nothing from them. I have to put my shoes and appropriate clothes on to go OUTSIDE and around the house to the other apartment just to pee.
Nobody should have to go through all of that to pee, right?
In addition to all of this, I've already paid rent for this month... and all of my utilities are included in my rent.
What should I do from this point?
I've been without a bathroom for almost a week.

ShawnaMichelle

Sorry, I don't know how I didn't see that last night.
My only excuse is that it was midnight and I should have been sleeping a couple of hours before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">