• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are the regulations for salvaging a derelict vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmills

I found a GTO in a parking lot that is obviously a derilict vehicle. other than the tires, it appears to be in good condition. I wanted to see if the vehicle was possibly for sale, but the people that the parking lot belonged to gave me the run arround. I was wondering what the rules are here in california regaurding the recovery of a derelict vehicle, as it would be a great car after i got it fixed up.

racer72

You just can't go taking cars you like just because they appear abandoned. You have two way to legally obtain the car. The easiest would be to find the owner of the vehicle and buy the car. You should be able to find the legal owner through the license plate or VIN of the vehicle. That process is easy if you know a friendly cop.
The more difficult way would be to have the car impounded then buy it at an impound auction if the vehicle is not claimed. This process is easy if you know a friendly tow truck driver.
What year Goat is it? I have a '66 that is just about done. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">