• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do about the money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barbinva

I live in Virginia. I purchased a car from a friend and neighbor. I have the signed title and other documents he gave me. He had the last payment in the form of a check. I was supposed to call him to tell him when to deposit it. Which was a few days ago. He has died of a sudden heart attack. And according to his church he has no closed relatives. No one has showed up at his house and I want to title the car, what should I do. It could be a very long time before anyone gets in that house to even find my check if they do, should I cancel that check and reissue one to his estate and throw it in the mail, please help.

HomeGuru

I live in Virginia. I purchased a car from a friend and neighbor. I have the signed title and other documents he gave me. He had the last payment in the form of a check. I was supposed to call him to tell him when to deposit it. Which was a few days ago. He has died of a sudden heart attack. And according to his church he has no closed relatives.

**A: does he have any open relatives?

###########
No one has showed up at his house and I want to title the car, what should I do. It could be a very long time before anyone gets in that house to even find my check if they do, should I cancel that check and reissue one to his estate and throw it in the mail, please help.
**A: you can try putting the car in your name if he signed the title over already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">