• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should you do if a dog breeder takes your money and doesn't deliver your puppy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miranda15

Last year I signed a contract with a dog breeder for a puppy, and I put down a four hundred dollar deposit. I decided to transfer my deposit to the next litter because it was her first litter and I wanted to see how the pups grew up, just to be safe. I did not realize it was her first litter until after I put down my deposit. We agreed that I'd be put at the top of the waiting list for her next litter, and that I'd have pick of the litter. The breeder told me that she'd contact me as soon as she knew a litter was expected and she thought it would be a year or a little more than that. A few months ago I found out she had a litter and never contacted me, she sold the entire litter except for one which she kept before I even knew the litter existed. Then she decided she was not going to have another litter. I don't want to cause her any problems but I feel this entire situation is entirely unacceptable and at the very least I would like my deposit back. I am asking for advice now because I have tried to get in contact with the breeder and she's completely ignoring me. She took my money, she kept my puppy, she broke our contract and she is refusing to explain anything to me. I would not even mind if she'd just explain the situation and give me a solution, I don't care if it is my money back, or a future puppy, but I cannot just ignore the fact she won't communicate with me. I feel wronged and I don't know what my options are. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Last year I signed a contract with a dog breeder for a puppy, and I put down a four hundred dollar deposit. I decided to transfer my deposit to the next litter because it was her first litter and I wanted to see how the pups grew up, just to be safe. I did not realize it was her first litter until after I put down my deposit. We agreed that I'd be put at the top of the waiting list for her next litter, and that I'd have pick of the litter. The breeder told me that she'd contact me as soon as she knew a litter was expected and she thought it would be a year or a little more than that. A few months ago I found out she had a litter and never contacted me, she sold the entire litter except for one which she kept before I even knew the litter existed. Then she decided she was not going to have another litter. I don't want to cause her any problems but I feel this entire situation is entirely unacceptable and at the very least I would like my deposit back. I am asking for advice now because I have tried to get in contact with the breeder and she's completely ignoring me. She took my money, she kept my puppy, she broke our contract and she is refusing to explain anything to me. I would not even mind if she'd just explain the situation and give me a solution, I don't care if it is my money back, or a future puppy, but I cannot just ignore the fact she won't communicate with me. I feel wronged and I don't know what my options are. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What US state?

FlyingRon

Send her a letter demanding the deposit back. If that doesn't generate a response, sue her in small claims (you don't indicate your state but $400 is certainly within the small claims limit in most any place I know).

Silverplum

This is what I think you should do:
http://www.animalleague.org/adopt-a-pet/dogs/adopt/

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/rescue-network/

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">