• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is statute of limitations on old medical bills??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CALIF

About three years ago my wife had severe muscle pains due to nerves/stress and was prescribed chiropractic massage twice weekly by a chiropractor in town. She did this for about four months and it was billed to our insurance company. Then the insurance company sent us a letter stating the chiropractor was under investigation for charging beyond reasonable charges for that service with many of it's clients, so the insurance was not going to pay on any of the chiropractor's charges.

The chiropractor then sent us a bill for the unpaid $3,000. We appealed to the Insurance Board but got nowhere. Six months after that the chiropractor said they'd accept $1,000 as full payment if it came directly from us. We made three $100 payments and then stopped.

Now.. three years later a collection agency sends us a bill on behalf of the chiropractor for the $700 plus over $100 for interest. My question is.. is there a time limit that says we are no longer liable for this balance? I don't want to send another payment yet because I've heard, once you do that, you're agreeing to the whole bill.

Anybody know where we stand on this?

Litigation!

enricosuave said:
What is the name of your state? CALIF

About three years ago my wife had severe muscle pains due to nerves/stress and was prescribed chiropractic massage twice weekly by a chiropractor in town. She did this for about four months and it was billed to our insurance company. Then the insurance company sent us a letter stating the chiropractor was under investigation for charging beyond reasonable charges for that service with many of it's clients, so the insurance was not going to pay on any of the chiropractor's charges.

The chiropractor then sent us a bill for the unpaid $3,000. We appealed to the Insurance Board but got nowhere. Six months after that the chiropractor said they'd accept $1,000 as full payment if it came directly from us. We made three $100 payments and then stopped.

Now.. three years later a collection agency sends us a bill on behalf of the chiropractor for the $700 plus over $100 for interest. My question is.. is there a time limit that says we are no longer liable for this balance? I don't want to send another payment yet because I've heard, once you do that, you're agreeing to the whole bill.

Anybody know where we stand on this?

My response:

4 years from the date of the last payment.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">