• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is up with Direct TV?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mstread

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I used to have Direct TV but I cancelled it because they have terrible customer service. Now I am stuck with a satellite dish bolted to my roof & they refuse to come & remove it. They tell me that it is mine. I never paid for it & I told them that I
don't want it yet still they refuse to remove it. I am a sixty year old women with no husband. How am I supposed to climb onto my roof & unbolt a satellite dish? I feel like they have left their litter in my yard. Can't they at least be forced to remove the thing?

I am sure somebody else has been stuck like this?

I would appreciate any comments.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I used to have Direct TV but I cancelled it because they have terrible customer service. Now I am stuck with a satellite dish bolted to my roof & they refuse to come & remove it. They tell me that it is mine. I never paid for it & I told them that I
don't want it yet still they refuse to remove it. I am a sixty year old women with no husband. How am I supposed to climb onto my roof & unbolt a satellite dish? I feel like they have left their litter in my yard. Can't they at least be forced to remove the thing?

Hire a local handyman to remove the dish. :cool:

Proserpina

How are you approaching them?

From personal experience, they respond MUCH more efficiently when you're kind, reasonable and polite to them.

justalayman

How are you approaching them?

From personal experience, they respond MUCH more efficiently when you're kind, reasonable and polite to them.
If I understand their system, the customer "purchases" the equipment when contracting the service. There is likely to be a period required to continue the contract to make the equipment owned by the customer free and clear but if the OP completed the contract, the equipment is likely hers and hers to do with as she chooses.

I doubt they would come out to remove her dish from her roof, especially since she no longer uses their service. What would be the benefit to them?

Proserpina

If I understand their system, the customer "purchases" the equipment when contracting the service. There is likely to be a period required to continue the contract to make the equipment owned by the customer free and clear but if the OP completed the contract, the equipment is likely hers and hers to do with as she chooses.

I doubt they would come out to remove her dish from her roof, especially since she no longer uses their service. What would be the benefit to them?

Oh, there's absolutely NO benefit to them!

But I do know that on the odd occasion, they'll do it just for customer service reasons. :)

EmmeRose

Honestly lady, is a dish on top of your house bothering you that much? Why can't it just stay up there? It would be up there if you were still paying for the services.

I did a simple Google search and it states on their website that Directv does not remove dishes and are not obligated to do so. You'll have to hire someone else to do it.

davew128

Not true. Unless you actually buy the equipment from them (at VERY high prices), its actually a month to month lease after the initial service contract. Once you cancel you're supposed to return the receivers and remotes.

A friend of mine was squawking to me last week that DISH wouldn't come remove their dish from the roof of his rental property when the tenant who used it left. Seems to be an industry thing.

safetyforlife

opinion

While purchasing the system, there will be certain discount offers and other services. Based on that, you can contact the respected person, to offer service for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">