• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can I use an alias?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eileen Hays

I live and do business in OREGON. I was wondering when and if I can do business under an "alias". Specifically, a shortened version or nick name. My legal name is so difficult and cumbersome I have always gone (I'm 50 yrs old) by a short version of my name. Bob instead of Robert would be a good example. My new employer insists that I sign contracts using my full, legal name. I was once told that as long as I'm not trying to decieve anyone, that I could sign my name any way I wished. The fact that I sign at all is what is important, like using an 'X' if you can't spell or write. Is it OKAY to use a short version of my legal name? Is it legal? Thx.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">