• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When you buy "As Is" can they hide stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cunga

What is the name of your state?GA
but my question is regarding FL law. I purchase a car in 2004 from a used car dealer. The car had been rebuilt to like new condition the ad said. I did not have the car inspected until I got back to GA, but nothing big was found at that time. However, an inspection from a State inspector, which is required for a rebuilt car to get titled in GA, found that the Airbag self check light was not occuring. After taking it to be repaired they found that the light had been covered up (by some type of black felt) from inside the instrument panel thus hiding the fact that the light was Always on. I know I bought the car "As Is" but in florida is the law on his side even though they intentionally hide something from me that otherwise would have prevented me from buying the car, and the fact they sold me an unsafe car?

S

seniorjudge

cunga said:
What is the name of your state?GA
but my question is regarding FL law. I purchase a car in 2004 from a used car dealer. The car had been rebuilt to like new condition the ad said. I did not have the car inspected until I got back to GA, but nothing big was found at that time. However, an inspection from a State inspector, which is required for a rebuilt car to get titled in GA, found that the Airbag self check light was not occuring. After taking it to be repaired they found that the light had been covered up (by some type of black felt) from inside the instrument panel thus hiding the fact that the light was Always on. I know I bought the car "As Is" but in florida is the law on his side even though they intentionally hide something from me that otherwise would have prevented me from buying the car, and the fact they sold me an unsafe car?
You need to inspect an as-is car before you buy it.

Once you buy it, it is your baby.

rmet4nzkx

seniorjudge said:
You need to inspect an as-is car before you buy it.

Once you buy it, it is your baby.
Wouldn't that be intentional fraud? How many inspectors would take apart something to find felt over the light? This is connected to a safety item I think there might be some public policy aspect to it, especially since this was bought from a dealer.

Here is a link to State of FL re this issue with numbers to call
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/0/2752ee5b7dc22ff785256cc9004ff9b4?OpenDocument

cunga

rmet4nzkx said:
Wouldn't that be intentional fraud? How many inspectors would take apart something to find felt over the light? This is connected to a safety item I think there might be some public policy aspect to it, especially since this was bought from a dealer.

Here is a link to State of FL re this issue with numbers to call
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/0/2752ee5b7dc22ff785256cc9004ff9b4?OpenDocument
That is what I was thinking it appears to fraud to me as well. Just not sure if that will help me get my money back in small claims. I know it's criminal.

Thanks for the link.

cunga

"As Is" does not protect you from fraud

remet4nzkx ..thanks for your help. We were correct or at least in my case. Fraud is not protected from the "as is" clause. I won the case against them in Small Claims. :)

A

absconder

Ok how do you prove it was the dealer,the previous owner or the body shop where it was restored?

cunga

absconder said:
Ok how do you prove it was the dealer,the previous owner or the body shop where it was restored?

In my case the car was rebuilt by the company that I purchased it from and I had the proof that the lights were covered up from inside the panel. Since they were the ones who fixed it, they had to be the ones to cover it up. Proving Fraud can be hard to do unless you have exact proof as I did. However, the main thing is they can't hide behind the "as is" clause as the defendant in my case thought he could and so many other people think the same thing. Hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">