• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

where do i stand legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

repoman576

What is the name of your state? new york
hello, this problem that i have has been on going for about 8-9 years now. i loaned a friend of mine lots of money mostly cash to pay off his gambling debts. he has paid me back in dribs for the since then until june 2002 where he has stopped answering my phone calls and not returned any messages on his machine. at this time hes doesnt even have his answering machine on. hes has gotten over 20k from me of which all but $9300 was paid.
since this was mostly cash...i have no proof that i have even given him this money. yes i know i should have had some written statements form him but...keep in mind i was supposed ot be his friend. there were some credit cards checks written out to him as well but its been so long i dont know if the cc company or even remember which card they may be ( possibly 1 of 3 different cards ).

so the question is...where do i stand legally in this matter...any help would be appreciated

thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Let's see . . .

1. No receipts or other proof;

2. Statute of Limitations;

3. Statute of Frauds;

4. Laches.

Hmmmm. I don't think you have a prayer.

IAAL

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

repoman576 said:
"thats what i thought.......what are #2,3,4 mean"

====================================

My response:

They are "defenses".

Copy this entire thread and print it. Take it to your local attorney for a full explanation of these defenses. You won't be happy with the answer.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">