• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who do I sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reedups

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts, I purchased a radiator from auto zone put in the car by a profesional auto mechanic and two weeks later my transmission needed work because the radiator was defective and leaked water. I have taking steps told auto zone about it they took the radiator sent it back to the factory who makes it and they said it was good, which it was not, question who do I take to small claims court auto zone or manufactor of the radiator? I have all the paper work from the transmission company saying that the faulty radiator caused leakage into the tranny.

JETX

I agree. The coolant (in the radiator) has absolutely NOTHING to do with the transmission. Unless you have a transmission cooler, they aren't even connected (and may not even be connected then).

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

In response to the original question, the parts retailer would be the easiest person to sue in small claims court.

As others have stated, it doesn't really make sense that a defective radiator could damage a transmission, but if you've got a theory explaining it, have at it.

You also need to look at the warranty that came with the radiator to see if it specifically excludes consequential damages. If it does, you won't get far.

You Are Guilty

Depending on the model car, if it has an automatic transmission, some radiators do have a small tranny cooler built into the lower part of the radiator. They are two totally discrete systems, so even if one breaks, it wouldn't affect the other. But if you have such a radiator and proof that the coolant leaked into the tranny fluid via a defective radiator (and not, for example, because some moron poured coolant into the transmission fill tube), then you sue the store that sold it and the manufacturer of the defective part.

Mass_Shyster

Depending on the model car, if it has an automatic transmission, some radiators do have a small tranny cooler built into the lower part of the radiator. They are two totally discrete systems, so even if one breaks, it wouldn't affect the other. But if you have such a radiator and proof that the coolant leaked into the tranny fluid via a defective radiator (and not, for example, because some moron poured coolant into the transmission fill tube), then you sue the store that sold it and the manufacturer of the defective part.
My guess is a coolant leak somehow damaged a sensor or some electronics on the outside of the tranny.

All automatic trany fluid is heated and cooled in the radiator. The radiator contans a seperate plumbing system for the trans fluid from the coolant.
The coolant side of the radiator is usually what corrodes first.

If it was a new radiator and leaked coolant into the trainy, then the trany is shot. There really isn't any other way for coolant to leak into the trans fluid except at the radiator.

Get the radiator back. A.S.A.P.

JETX

All automatic trany fluid is heated and cooled in the radiator.
And of course, that is NOT correct. The 'normal' radiator is for engine coolant ONLY.

The radiator contans a seperate plumbing system for the trans fluid from the coolant.
That is called a 'transmission cooler' and is (usually) only available on vehicles with trailer packages etc., where the transmission may operate under heavy loads.

The coolant side of the radiator is usually what corrodes first.
That is correct.... because the automobile radiator is simply a liquid-air heat exchanger. There is water (or coolant) on the 'inside coils' which is heated (from the engine return) and air flows through the radiator 'exchanging' the heat. The reason is corrodes from the 'coolant side' is that is the side with the corrosive liquids.

racer72

And of course, that is NOT correct. The 'normal' radiator is for engine coolant ONLY.
I worked in a radiator shop many years ago rebuilding radiators. Virtually every radiator made for a vehicle with an automatic transmission has an intregal transmission cooler built into the radiator. Check any vehicle with an automatic transmission, besides the radiator hoses there will be 2 metal lines connected to the radiator too. Those transfer the tranny fluid between the transmission and the cooler in the radiator. Those tubes can plainly be seen in the picture in the link.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system6.htm

In the case with the OP, if that tranny cooler was to leak, because the transmission has greater working pressure than the engine coolant system, transmission fluid will be forced into the coolant system. But when the vehicle is turned off, the coolant then could be drawn back into the transmission as everything cools. It doesn't take much for this to happen, just a small pin hole leak. Engine coolant will destroy a transmission in short order. The OP also stated the radiator was tested and found to be good. This can happen if the testing was done with air. The radiator hose fittings are plugged and about 15 psi (about normal radiator coolant pressure) air is pumped through the cap fitting. The radiator is lowered into a large tank of water and one looks for air bubbles. Better radiator shops will use test fluid that is black light sensitive and heated to 175 degrees. This is allowed to flow through the radiator for about 10 minutes then a black light is used to check for leaks. When I was involved in auto racing, I had access to such a system and found it to be a much better way to check a radiator than using air. This type of testing would also show if the internal tranny cooler had a temperature sensitive leak too.

Last edited:

JETX

I worked in a radiator shop many years ago rebuilding radiators. Virtually every radiator made for a vehicle with an automatic transmission has an intregal transmission cooler built into the radiator. Check any vehicle with an automatic transmission, besides the radiator hoses there will be 2 metal lines connected to the radiator too. Those transfer the tranny fluid between the transmission and the cooler in the radiator. Those tubes can plainly be seen in the picture in the link.

HowStuffWorks "How Car Cooling Systems Work"

In the case with the OP, if that tranny cooler was to leak, because the transmission has greater working pressure than the engine coolant system, transmission fluid will be forced into the coolant system. But when the vehicle is turned off, the coolant then could be drawn back into the transmission as everything cools. It doesn't take much for this to happen, just a small pin hole leak. Engine coolant will destroy a transmission in short order. The OP also stated the radiator was tested and found to be good. This can happen if the testing was done with air. The radiator hose fittings are plugged and about 15 psi (about normal radiator coolant pressure) air is pumped through the cap fitting. The radiator is lowered into a large tank of water and one looks for air bubbles. Better radiator shops will use test fluid that is black light sensitive and heated to 175 degrees. This is allowed to flow through the radiator for about 10 minutes then a black light is used to check for leaks. When I was involved in auto racing, I had access to such a system and found it to be a much better way to check a radiator than using air. This type of testing would also show if the internal tranny cooler had a temperature sensitive leak too.
No problem... and this supports my earlier post. On SOME vehicles, the 'radiator' is in two parts... the engine coolant 'side' and the transmission 'side' (often called the 'trans axle oil cooler'.).
Again, this is on SOME (not all) models.

We don't know what model or type of vehicle the OP is talking about. We don't KNOW if it has a 'transmission radiator' or not. If it does, we don't know if it 'inter-connected' to the engine cooler or not.
Absent information to the contrary, the vehicle does not have a transmission cooler and the transmission is not 'inter-connected' to the engine coolant radiator.
It is pretty easy for an even moderate mechanic to tell if there is transmission fluid in the (engine coolant) radiator and the OP makes no such claims. Only a vague "two weeks later my transmission needed work because the radiator was defective and leaked water."

I guess that I should be amazed that some members here would state that facts presented by others here are wrong before checking the facts themselves? (Not meant as a flame) :eek:

In the OP's post it is stated that it is a "car," with an automatic transmission.
Car, not a tractor, tow truck, 18 wheeler....
If you do any research, call an auto parts store or a mechanic, you will find that cars with automatic trannies come equipted with tranns oil coolers internal to the radiator. The reason in needs to be incorporated into the radiator and not just external to the radiator is to help bring the fluid up to temp durring cold starts.

Yes, it does happen that coolant can be pulled into the tranny due to a defective radiator. Also, without human intervention, it is (if not impossible,) highly unlikely that coolant would find it's way into the tranny fluid any other way.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">