• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who owns the car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robynmarie01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I went through a divorce in 2007. The decree states that when my ex-husband pays off the car loan for the car we shared, that he must sign the title to the car over to me. When we bought the car we puchased an extended warranty for it. He is stating that he received a notice from that company stating that because the car had changed owners, they were canceling the warranty. I told him that we haven't changed owners, he still owns the car and it is in his name until he pays it off, at which time I become the new owner. So my question is, who currently owns this car? Does he own it until it is paid off, or do I own it because the decree states that he has to sign it over to me when it is paid off?
BTW, as a side note the decree states nothing else about the car, the only mention of it is the section where it states that he must sign the title over to me when it's paid off.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I went through a divorce in 2007. The decree states that when my ex-husband pays off the car loan for the car we shared, that he must sign the title to the car over to me. When we bought the car we puchased an extended warranty for it. He is stating that he received a notice from that company stating that because the car had changed owners, they were canceling the warranty. I told him that we haven't changed owners, he still owns the car and it is in his name until he pays it off, at which time I become the new owner. So my question is, who currently owns this car? Does he own it until it is paid off, or do I own it because the decree states that he has to sign it over to me when it is paid off?
BTW, as a side note the decree states nothing else about the car, the only mention of it is the section where it states that he must sign the title over to me when it's paid off.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The owner of the vehicle is listed on the current title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">