• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who shows as the owner pending completed paperwork?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debreb4

What is the name of your state? CA
Someone gave a vehicle to me as a gift. The Release of Liability and Bill of Sale is in this peron's name. I turned in the title, which was signed by the previous owner. I signed it as the new owner, stating that I received the SUV as a gift. The DMV mailed it back along with forms that needed to be completed because more info was needed. Also, more fees have to be paid. They stated it was an "incomplete application'. One of the attached pages shows me as the registered owner, though. The question I have is, while the paperwork is being completed and processed, if the plates were ran, who would show up, for the time being as the owner-the previous owner, the person who purchased the vehicle for me or me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? CA
Someone gave a vehicle to me as a gift. The Release of Liability and Bill of Sale is in this peron's name. I turned in the title, which was signed by the previous owner. I signed it as the new owner, stating that I received the SUV as a gift. The DMV mailed it back along with forms that needed to be completed because more info was needed. Also, more fees have to be paid. They stated it was an "incomplete application'. One of the attached pages shows me as the registered owner, though. The question I have is, while the paperwork is being completed and processed, if the plates were ran, who would show up, for the time being as the owner-the previous owner, the person who purchased the vehicle for me or me?
What did the DMV say when you asked them? And, why does it matter, since you will be completing the documents in a timely manner anyway :)

I feel that you will show as the owner...but it's a guess ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">