• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife bought me a PWC and got taken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Saleen367

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I'll try and keep it brief.
My wife, God Bless her Heart, went and purchased a personal watercraft for my birthday on April 11. She picked it up on 4/25.

Making a long story short, she got taken by the dealer.

The PWC was a left over 2001 model, which was fine, but was a 2 seat model without a tow hook for skiing, etc.
When she first entered the dealership she specified that she wanted a PWC that could pull skiers, tubers, etc. The dealer showed her a GP1200R Yamaha which has no provision for pulling skiers.
Secondly, when asked the price she was quoted $6750. When she returned to sign the papers on the 11th, there were several additions in the price that raised her to question them. $200 -set up, $150 freight, and $500 trailer(also 2 years old).
The trailer I can understand, the others were in place to pad the pockets of the dealer. She signed anyway, not knowing any better and trusting that the dealer was being truthful.

I called the dealer the Monday after she picked it up and also asked for a price quote. I was told $6750, plus tax license and trailer .... no set up or freight.
I then called the dealer the next day and called him on his technique for exploiting my wife. He had a million and one excuses all of which are lies. He claimed they ad the freight and set up later so as to avoid paying sales tax on those items. After reviewing the invoice, we paid sales tax on them anyway.

My next door neighbor also bought from him in 2001 and the invoice shows no freight or set up charges and the trailer was only $350.
He will not budge on the price and I don't want a used (1.7 hours on the meter) craft that even Yamaha says not to pull skier with(my wife was told it had never been in the water). The dealer told me today that my neighbor paid full retail and that was why the trailer was less. I checked with my neighbor, it was no where near full retail.
The dealer obviously lied and misrepresented the product. My wife wants a new pwc not one with 1.7 hours and one that Yamaha says can pull skiers.

Do I have any recourse??

Email [email protected]:confused:

Last edited:

racer72

The dealer obviously lied and misrepresented the product.
And your wife that knows nothing about PWC's is you only witness. Not good. You really have no claim. Enjoy the toy and quit worrying about how much it cost. Remember, it's the thought that counts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">