• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife has lawsuit filed against her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

niradh

The company my wife used to be employed by closed its doors. While employed, she signed a contract for the company (part of her job). Above her signature, she hand wrote "Signed for Career Networking, Inc." When the company closed its doors, they broke this contract. It was for 3 years, 1 of which was served. The company who this contract was with, filed a lawsuit against my wife for breach of contract. The lawsuit says my wifes name DBA Career Networking. She is not a DBA nor has she ever implied such.
I wrote a letter to the attorney filing the action informing him of this and showing proof to him that Career Networking was a corporation and she is hereby protected under corporate veil. We also sent a certified letter to the district court this suit was filed with claiming and showing the same. The judge denied my wifes request for a dismissal and set a court date.
When I spoke by telephone with the attorney after he received my letter, he said when he filed the suit he was not aware it was a corporation, but now he knows. I then asked to correct the lawsuit, take my wifes name off and file it against the corporation. He rudly informed me he was not going to go back and make any changes to something he already has done. WHAT A JERK he is!
Our problam is this, the corporation is closed down. It has not operated in any way shape or form for 4 months now. This lawsuit is in another state from which we live. Due to my wifes time from not having a job, finances are short and we can't afford an attorney. During this same phone conversation with this attorney, he said he would go and get a judgement against my wife, then come to the state to which we live (Florida) and get a court here to grant him wage garnishment and get any leins on our property we own. The lawsuit is filed in Alabama. Can somebody please just point me in a direction of what to do. The court date in May 21. This is absolutely killing us. We are affraid of what this attorney can and will do to us and what he will take from us. Since the corporation is closed, we can't ask them to hire an attorney to defend my wife. Somebody, please help us!

L

loku

Signed as corprate agent

Since you can not afford an attorney to defend your wife, she will have to defend herself in this. Have her bring proof that the company was a corporation, and have her bring proof that she signed for Career Networking, Inc.

Also consider this: since the attorney knows the facts, you might be able to prove this was a frivolous law suit and you might be able to win attorney’s fees if you hire one in the judgment. That being the case, it might pay for you to consult with an attorney and see how realistic this is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">