• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written Contract: Seller now refuses to sell!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

srssrs

Florida.

3 weeks ago I sent a $1000 deposit to buy a boat/motor for $4500. The man accepted and sent me a signed "Purchase Agreement". He cashed my check. I have since spent $1300 to buy a trailer so I could pick it up. I called him to make arrangements to pay the $3500 balance owed & he now says he will not sell it to me. He has attempted to send his personal check to me of $1000 as a refund. I want to complete the transaction & do not want a refund. What should I do? Thank you....

S

samrio

What exactly is his reason for not selling it to you? Is there a clause in the contract stating a specified time for the purchase to complete (ie, balance to be paid in 1 month, 2 weeks, whatever)?

S

srssrs

Just refusing to sell!

The purchase agreement is straightforward. It is dated 8-8-04. It states a purchase price of $4500, my deposit check received of $1000, an amount due of $3500 (no specific time due). He signed it. It says: "Give me a call when you are ready and I will drop off the keys & title. Talk to you soon."

When I sent my check I told him (in a letter) that I would have the transaction closed within 60 days. He had told me verbally that anytime would be fine. There was a hurricane that passed thru the area and I was concerned that the boat was still OK. I tried to call him & the party whose house it was at (on a lift) to verify it was OK. I was not able to get in touch with anyone for days (due to power & phones being out). When I finally reached him - he told me that my calls pissed him off and that he would return my deposit & the deal was off. This seemed very odd to me as all I was trying to do was complete the transaction. He is very irrational & will not speak to me.

I received his check for $1000 (2 days ago) but have not yet cashed. I thought I had some rights in this situation - am I wrong? Can he just break the contract & I have no recourse? I have spoken to a man that has seen the boat & it was not damaged or hurt in the hurricane.

What really complicates things is I am in NC and the boat is 10 hours away in FL.

Can anyone offer me some good advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">