• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong product ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abilenehilo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I ordered by email 5 cartons of cigarettes from New York. The wrong cigarettes were delivered. I immediately called the company left contact number. Did not hear from company after 1 week. Continued calling leaving messages and emailing. Finally after 3 weeks I receive an email stating the product delivered costs more than product ordered and I must pay the price difference. Is this okay?

BL

You do have proof of the order specifying what brand and the quantity ?

What Co. ?

Indian reservation cigs ?

NY is still after taxes on those sales , although the State has been shot down in every attempt .

BTW ,if not from Indians , then think twice ,a pack in NY could cost $9.00 soon .

tranquility

The end effect, as the other posters have alluded to, is that you did a legally complex thing. Unwinding legally complex things are expensive.

No one thinks you have not been hurt. Yet, the hurt is balanced by the legal complexities. You won't get a lawyer on contingency. You will be fighting a lawyer on retainer. I think you have no or little chance.

Are you "right"? Sure. You probably got screwed.

Caveat emptor. It's not worth your time or money for more.

You Are Guilty

No one watching the news lately?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/nyregion/19tax.html?src=mv
NYT said:
In New York City, which levies steep taxes of its own on tobacco products, a pack of cigarettes would come with a tax of $5.85, making it the nation’s first city to break $5, antismoking advocates said. That would bring the overall cost of a pack of premium cigarettes above $10 in many stores in the city.

[highlight]The legislation will also include a plan to begin collecting taxes on cigarettes sold off the reservation by Indian tribes in New York, an issue that has provoked confrontations between State Police officers and protesting tribe members in years past.[/highlight]

The proposal would generate $440 million in revenue this year, helping close a state budget gap estimated at over $9 billion. But it is unclear whether there are enough votes to approve the plan in the State Senate, where Republicans have threatened to vote against any emergency budget bill that includes tax increases and some Democrats oppose efforts to collect taxes on cigarettes sold by the tribes.
Going to be a lot of very unhappy (internet) campers soon.

BL

Yes, I just read this ,this AM.

www.WHEC.com - Seneca Nation: Cigarette tax is 'an act of war'

Native Americans across our area are outrage over a new law that will tax cigarettes on Indian Reservations. The State Legislature passed the law Monday. Some lawmakers are already predicting a clash of cultures.

Under the new law, enough tax-free cigarettes would be provided to retailers on the reservations for the nation's or tribe's members. But if you're not Native American, you'll be taxed for the cigarettes you buy on the Reservation starting September 1st.

"We've gone thru this before," said Winnie. "It's happened time and time again and people are sick of it."

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, there were threats of violence and a temporary shut-down of the state Thruway through Indian land when it was blocked with burning tires and debris. In the end, the Native Americans won and cigarettes weren't taxed. But this new law brings back bad memories.

xylene

Best course of action

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I ordered by email 5 cartons of cigarettes from New York. The wrong cigarettes were delivered. I immediately called the company left contact number. Did not hear from company after 1 week. Continued calling leaving messages and emailing. Finally after 3 weeks I receive an email stating the product delivered costs more than product ordered and I must pay the price difference. Is this okay?
Dispute the transaction on your credit card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">