• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X-girlfriend took everything!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TPWilson79

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Recently I broke up with my would be fiance. I had a 2001 Nissan Altima I was financing and have about $12,000 left to pay on it. Since my credit was bad I had tried to get my ex to co-sign for the vehicle, but it turns out her name was put first. She had a police officer come to my job and take the keys from me. Since then I have no idea where my car is! For this reason I have tried to go finance a used car and all the dealerships tell me that since the Nissan is still on my credit that I cannot do so. I'm not understanding if it is legal that I should have to pay for a vehicle I no longer have, and if I stop making the payments will my credit take the fault for it? Also, if my credit will take the fault, is there any way I can take her name off of the contract so that I may have a vehicle to get to and from my job? or...is there any way to take MY name off the contract so that I may finance another vehicle?

I also would like to know if anyone has any legal advice for stolen clothing. My ex and I used to share an apartment and one day, after the break-up, I went back to pack up all of my belongings ($5,000 worth of clothes, shoes, boots, hats, glassware, etc) and everything was GONE! I have no proof that she stole my things other than the landlord witnessing her with moving trucks. I have filed a theft report, but this has not gotten my clothing back! If anyone has any advice on these questions it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">