• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yellow pages ad contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrokerRE

State of Michigan

I signed a contract for yellow page advertising with my local phone provider. A few months after paying the monthly charges, my local provider pulled a fast one, and tried to stick me with some bogus charges.

I switched to a different local provider, and have refused to pay the bogus charges.

Now the yellow pages are calling me and I explained until the bogus charges are removed, I will not pay any further bills.

They are now telling me that 5 months after I signed the contract for the yellow pages ad, the yellow pages portion of the company as sold to yellow book, and now have nothing to do with the local provider. Isn't that convenient? So now, it appears I have no recourse to re-coop the bogus charges, but I have to complete a contract with a company I didn't contract with.

Any chance I could get out of this contract?

HomeGuru

BrokerRE said:
State of Michigan

I signed a contract for yellow page advertising with my local phone provider. A few months after paying the monthly charges, my local provider pulled a fast one, and tried to stick me with some bogus charges.

I switched to a different local provider, and have refused to pay the bogus charges.

Now the yellow pages are calling me and I explained until the bogus charges are removed, I will not pay any further bills.

They are now telling me that 5 months after I signed the contract for the yellow pages ad, the yellow pages portion of the company as sold to yellow book, and now have nothing to do with the local provider. Isn't that convenient? So now, it appears I have no recourse to re-coop the bogus charges, but I have to complete a contract with a company I didn't contract with.

Any chance I could get out of this contract?

**A: no since you already signed the contract but you can dispute the bogus charges.

Last edited:
A

aahlee

I like it, bogus charges, do we have to play spin the bottle, and everytime we get one little piece of information about the what bogus charges?

As long as you are in business and the phone # is still connected that is listed in the yellow page ads, then you owe the monthly charges.

But if you went out of business, and the phone was disconnected, what can they get from you? zip!

Last edited:

BrokerRE

Bogus charges in fact were a connection charge at $40.00 per line for a total of $210.00.

Now, connection charges don't sound bogus, but they were charged on my final bill with that company, and it was explained to me that I had to be with the company for 5 years in order for the charges to be waived. This was not part of my agreement. When I was solicited for the switch, the company said they would "Waive" the installation charges. I have never heard this before, never signed anything regarding this, never recieved anything with this information in it.

I asked them for the original agreement, or contract, or anything that outlined this, and they refused.

P.S. I was with them for 4 years and 10 months.

The reason I left it out was simply because it's not relevent to the question.

My phones are not disconected, they are in fact with a different local company, and my new local company has their own phone book.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">