• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acceptable terminology for describing a website design in copyright application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suzstephens

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Can anyone provide me with wording to describe a website design in a copyright application that the U.S. Copyright Office won't reject?

The Copyright Basics pdf says do not use terms like, “website,” “interface,” “format,” “layout,” “design,” “look of
website” and I've had an application rejected on these grounds.

So how to I describe a homepage design so that my terminology will be accepted?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Can anyone provide me with wording to describe a website design in a copyright application that the U.S. Copyright Office won't reject?

The Copyright Basics pdf says do not use terms like, “website,” “interface,” “format,” “layout,” “design,” “look of
website” and I've had an application rejected on these grounds.

So how to I describe a homepage design so that my terminology will be accepted?
For information on registering a website, see Circular 66 from the US Copyright Office: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ66.pdf. An example of what could be acceptable on your application is "text."

It depends on what you are registering.

What you may be looking for, in addition to the copyright registration to further protect the copyrightable elements of your site, is trademark or "trade dress" registration - which, under trademark laws, can protect the layout or look of your site. See http://www.uspto.gov

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">