• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Actress wants to sue me over a phrase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tellafriend

California

Ok, so one morning I wake up and get this brilliant idea for a t-shirt slogan. A couple of weeks later I make up a couple hundred t-shirts and start selling them all over the place.

It's my own creation, sort of a play on an old phrase that people always say and I'm very happy with the sales my t-shirts are generating.

Until...

Evidentally someone in Hollywood see's one of my shirts and isn't very happy that I "stold the words right out of her mouth and am now making money from doing so".

Honestly, I can't keep track of who says what but I research the old phrase and find out that alot of people have already twisted the words around (I guess I wasn't as brilliant as I thought) and have claimed the new phrase as their own too including this actress and an author who used it as a title for her book.

Long story longer...

I'm getting threatened to pull the shirt or I'll lose my shirt in court.

Should I be worried?
Is this copyright infringement?
What words CAN'T I put on a shirt?
If someone famous says something don't I have the right to put it on a t-shirt the next day?

Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Then "Alpha Beta" supermarket is going to sue you also for using their "Tell A Friend" slogan as your forum name. But, they can't because "Tell A Friend" is considered to be a "slogan." Slogans and titles of books, movies, etc. are specifically exempted from trademark and copyright ownership.

Look, unless it's a trademark or service mark of that "actress", and it's a "slogan", then she's got nothing. Ask to see her ownership papers.

IAAL

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

I'm still waiting for someone famous

to say something WORTH putting on a t-shirt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">