• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All Rights Reserved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewber11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I have a packet of handouts from a collegue, that is in book form. He "published" it by copying and binding it. THere are no copyright designations other than "all rights reserved" printed on the cover.

I would like to distribute and sell this packet of handouts. However, I have not been able to find him to ask permission. He appears to have dropped out of site. I've contacted his friends and they all say he's severed ties with them. I've done an internet search and have a last known address but no phone and letters have been returned unanswered.

Short of hiring a private investigator to track him down, what do I need to do prevent copyright violations.

Does "all rights reserved" constitue a copyright?

Thanks!

Mass_Shyster

copyrights are automatic. Once the book was put into tangible form, the copyright existed.

You cannot copy this work without permission from the copyright holder.

FlyingRon

Steveh is correct. Since 1989, when the US finally adopted the international copyright convention (Berne), all it takes is the work being expressed in tangible form. All Rights Reserved never meant anything anyhow. Copyright assumes the owner retains all rights unless he specifically grants them otherwise.

cyjeff

duh! probably the most intelligent words ever uttered by an atty.
I am sorry.

What you want is someone to say, "here is how you steal someone else's work without paying them for the privilege".

That loophole does not exist.

I cannot reprint a Stephen King work and begin to pass it out simply because Mr. King won't return my calls.

Neither can you. If you want to send it out, make your own.

drewber11

I am willing to pay him for his work. If you were to sell Mr. King's books, how would you get payment to him. I do not want to pass this off as my own. I want to distribute the work, and yes, earn income from the work. I would gladly give him his due. So how does that happen.

I find a journal at an estate sale that person wrote down profound thoughts, I want to publish them but the person has died and no heirs. What then?

FlyingRon

I am willing to pay him for his work. If you were to sell Mr. King's books, how would you get payment to him.
There is always a successor. In Dr. King's case, his estate still maintains the copyright and has sued people who infringe. Even Sherlock Holmes as a trademark is pursued by the estate of Dame Jean Conan Doyle (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's daughter, quite a remarkable woman in her own right).

You'll have to do the research to find out who the successor is.

The Occultist

And to add on to FR's post, if you cannot track down the owner or he otherwise will not communicate with you or grant the license, then you are SOL and are legally not entitled to make your attempt.

Mass_Shyster

I am willing to pay him for his work. If you were to sell Mr. King's books, how would you get payment to him. I do not want to pass this off as my own. I want to distribute the work, and yes, earn income from the work. I would gladly give him his due. So how does that happen.

I find a journal at an estate sale that person wrote down profound thoughts, I want to publish them but the person has died and no heirs. What then?
In the words of the great legal scholar Jagger: "You can't always get what you want"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">