• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

artwork used in film without an agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gordon gecko

I own a California based company supplying production artwork used in films and television. I recently worked with a major motion picture company for producers I had not known previously who dragged their feet getting me a contract before shooting began... only days before they emailed me a very one sided contract with the wrong dollar amount owed that I couldn't sign. They instructed me to make changes and send it back. Everytime I asked about it it was still under review. Now that filming has ended they refuse to pay the rest of what is owed or send back my materials from over seas.
Can I do anything about them using my artwork in their film without my permission written or otherwise?

divgradcurl

You mention "return the works from overseas" -- is the company in question a foreign company? Do they have any offices here in the U.S.? Based solely on what you've written, it appears that your best course of action is a breach of contract action rather than any sort of IP action -- but if you are in the states, and they are overseas, it might be tough, or impossible, to pursue.

gordon gecko

the producers in question take projects owned by big studios and make them in europe through a company bonded there.These are films the studios greenlight but can't afford to make.... so they promise to make them out of their own pocket for a few million more than the actual cost, then the studio" buys back" the project essentially. I'm not sure who owns the film at this time but it will be released by a studio here. If I can't pursue legal action can I at least still use my artwork in my own film to recoup my cost?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">