• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Book writing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eagle2020

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi

I'm not sure if I posted in the right section but couldn't find anything closer than this section regarding my question.. I'm trying to write a book which is basically based on opinion & ed articles for which I'll use the articles then follow it with questions for students to answer so I'll borrow the article and copy it word to word in my book then follow it by questions I will write. My questions are:
1-Do I need the consent of the article writer to post his article in my book? and if yes should I see a lawyer to help me write the consent form or should I be able to write it by myself ( is there any ready consent format one can provide me?)
2- Should I expect some writers to ask me for a share of the profits to use their articles?

Thank you very much

FlyingRon

You're trodding on the boundries of fair use here. While you generally are allowed to use works for critical and educational use, the nature of your work sounds like you might lose that suit.

It would behoove you to get permission to use the pieces. What, if anything, it will cost you depends on the mood of the copyright holder and what agreements he might have had with the publication in which it appeared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">