• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this brand name subject to trademark infringement ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greens18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Alright my brother has a small dilemma and I thought I'd throw it your way before lawyers get involved (as you know their fees hurt).

So here is the simple situation. A current registered trademark is "discountedlaptops". Their business model is rather simple.. they sell laptops at a discounted price. Would a name such as "discountednotebooks" violate their current registered trademark using the same business model?

FlyingRon

It's quite possible that either due to confusion or dilution that would be found to be infringing. Of course your case is contrived. I'm not sure registration would be issued for discountlaptops.

Greens18

It's quite possible that either due to confusion or dilution that would be found to be infringing. Of course your case is contrived. I'm not sure registration would be issued for discountlaptops.
I PM'ed you.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Nothing in the PM changes what was said earlier. The marks involved could well be considered infringing. You can roll the dice and hope the other company won't take issue, or you could come up with something novel rather than varying the existing mark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">