• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcyaffee

We are starting a comedy club and want to use the name Inside Joke. We noted that one of Comedy Central's websites is named insidejoke.com. Would we be risking legal problems to use Inside Joke Comedy Club? Or would the phrase "inside joke" be considered public domain?

The Occultist

Have you checked to see if they trademarked the name?
If the name is being used in commerce, it is entitled to certain protections even if the name has not officially been registered.

I advise the OP take the name to an IP attorney so he can give the most insightful answer.

justalayman

If the name is being used in commerce, it is entitled to certain protections even if the name has not officially been registered.
I know but I figured if it is trademarked, that places so many restrictions on the use the OP should probably consider another name. It's cheap to search so that is where I would suggest starting, and ending if it is TM'd.

I'm really lousy with whois searches and such but I don't think Comedy Central owns the name insidejoke.com. A quick TM search also shows no association with Comedy Central.

Dave1952

Rather than ask these questions here or to an IP attorney why don't you write Comedy Central and ask them if they'll permit you to use this name.
Understand that their permission does not protect you from other folks who may think that they have a claim on the name. If they refuse permission then you may wish to discuss whether you need their permission.
Come on, it's a letter and a stamp.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">