• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he sue me for libel if I write my own story?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

akayecf

What is the name of your state? UT

I have just finished an e-book about forgiveness. The book is about the process I went through to forgive my husband of infidelity. Because it is non-fiction, I cite a few examples of advice I received as well as my husband's behaviors. I changed the names of everyone mentioned, never once gave my husband's name, and everything included in the book is true. While the book is about my process of forgiveness--which includes my husband's behavior--he is not a large part of the book--I purposefully excluded him as much as I could without destroying the content.

However, my ex is very petty and I fear he would sue me without cause.

Where can I find information about what I can and cannot legally write? Where does my story end and someone else's begin?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

HomeGuru

akayecf said:
What is the name of your state? UT

I have just finished an e-book about forgiveness. The book is about the process I went through to forgive my husband of infidelity. Because it is non-fiction, I cite a few examples of advice I received as well as my husband's behaviors. I changed the names of everyone mentioned, never once gave my husband's name, and everything included in the book is true. While the book is about my process of forgiveness--which includes my husband's behavior--he is not a large part of the book--I purposefully excluded him as much as I could without destroying the content.

However, my ex is very petty and I fear he would sue me without cause.

Where can I find information about what I can and cannot legally write? Where does my story end and someone else's begin?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

**A: will you be using your real name as the author or going under a pen or assumed name?

A

akayecf

Thank you for reading my post.

I had planned to use my maiden name--my legal last name is still the same as my husbands.

Should I use a pen name other than my maiden name?

Thanks again....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">