• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I ask someone to stop using a video I created?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aracne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I hope someone can give me orientation on a problem I have. An online friend I met from a social network website knew I was into video production. He was producing a movie that now he's selling on DVDs. He asked me to create the opening credits for him so he could use it on his movie. I wanted to help him in the name of friendship and spent several days on that project which involved special effects and lots of work. He didn't even mention if he owed me something for my work and I didn't want to ruin our friendship so I left it like that. But once he got my video and he used it on the DVDs he deleted me from all the accounts where I was part of his groups of friends. Now I realize he just wanted to use me and take advantage of me. If I ask him now to stop using my video and he refuses, would I have any laws on my side to force him to stop using what I consider my intellectual property? I really hope someone can help me with this. Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

What you gave him was an implied license to use your work for his purposes. Once the license is given, barring a contract that states otherwise, you do not have the ability to take the license back.

That being said, can he prove you provided this license? If not, are you willing to take him to court over it?

My opinion: you got screwed over, that sucks, it's time to cut your losses and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">