• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I copy comics for my newspaper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbuckl1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I run a newspaper in San Antonio, TX. I'm fifteen years of age. I am looking to put comics in the newspaper and I'm not sure what the copyright laws are regarding comics. Some additional information, I run a school newspaper.

justalayman

Unless you have permission from the owner of the copyrights of the comics, you cannot legally copy the comics for any purpose.

Given this is a school newspaper, you should have a teacher or administrator in charge of the paper. You need to be asking them about copyright infringement and how much it could cost everybody guilty of infringement. You are at school to be educated; demand they educate you.

adjusterjack

I run a newspaper in San Antonio, TX. I'm fifteen years of age. I am looking to put comics in the newspaper and I'm not sure what the copyright laws are regarding comics. Some additional information, I run a school newspaper.
No, you can't copy the comics unless you have the consent of the people that own the copyright.

You can probably find those owners by doing an internet search.

For example, googling Pearls Before Swine brought up a Wikipedia article revealing that the publisher is the Andrews McNeel Publishing Co which is likely the first place to go to ask for consent (after googling that name for the address).

Do the same for any comic strip that you want to get consent from.

I can't guarantee it but it's possible that publishers would allow a school newspaper to use the comics for free.

If you get consent make sure you get it in writing. But, still, discuss with your school administrators before running the comics.

quincy

As a most general rule, whenever you want to use copyrighted material belonging to someone else, you will need to get permission from the copyright holder first or risk an infringement action. But you have not provided enough information in your post to say whether your use of comics in the school newspaper would be seen as infringing on the rights of the copyright holders or, instead, seen as a "fair use" of the material.

What sort of comics do you intend to use and for what purpose?

For example, there were many reprints of a cartoon originally published by Charlie Hebdo that was critical of Muhammad, the cartoon of which led to a terrorist attack. Reprints of the cartoon by several publications around the world, including in the US, fell under US copyright law's fair use doctrine. That is because the cartoon was the subject of comment or criticism of the work itself or used in the course of news reporting on the cartoon's role in the terrorist attack.

If this is a school-run newspaper, the school should be familiar not only with copyright laws but also the laws that govern free expression by students in school papers. That said, the fact that the school SHOULD be familiar with these laws does not mean that it is. I can provide links to some school newspaper court decisions later - and it would be nice if you could expand a bit on your intended use of the comics.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">