• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I copyright myself with facial copyright symbol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumanbean

What is the name of your state? California

If I were a known public personality and I mark my face, in a fashion that would be reproduced on film or a digital medium, with a registered copyright notice would I be able to claim a copyright to any images taken of me?

JETX

yumanbean said:
If I were a known public personality and I mark my face, in a fashion that would be reproduced on film or a digital medium, with a registered copyright notice would I be able to claim a copyright to any images taken of me?
Of course.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

yumanbean said:
What is the name of your state? California

My response:

Yes, you can. But, don't you think you'd look pretty stupid with a big © in the middle of your forehead?

IAAL

JETX

I forgot to add.... that in order for it to be a valid copyright, it must be visible from a minimum of 20 feet. So, be sure to make that copyright symbol large enough. Oh, and it can't be distorted, so that means you can't smile, laugh, blink, etc.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
I forgot to add.... that in order for it to be a valid copyright, it must be visible from a minimum of 20 feet. So, be sure to make that copyright symbol large enough. Oh, and it can't be distorted, so that means you can't smile, laugh, blink, etc.

My response:

Hilarious!

IAAL

JETX

And be sure to provide the special 'facial copyright symbol'. Here is a sample of how it looks..... :)

divgradcurl

JETX and IAAL, I don't want to spoil your fun, but I thought just for the sake of completeness:

1) No, you cannot copyright your face, because it is not a "creative work."

2) A registered copyright notice is not required for copyright protection anyway, so no need to tattoo anything on anyone's face.

3) In any event, you cannot claim copyright on a creative work -- like a photograph -- that someone else has created. Only the actual creator of a work may claim the copyright.

Now, maybe the OP would like to obtain a trademark on his or her face. In that case, as long as the mark -- the OP's face -- is affixed to something used in interstate commerce -- I'll leave it up to the experts to opine on what that might mean! -- you could potentially obtain trademark protections on your face!

One more thing -- since we are discussing the potential IP protections for one's own image, why not go crazy, and try and apply trade secrets protections to your own image -- the "unknown comic" from the old "Gong Show" comes to mind here...

Last edited:

JETX

And the sound of a huge WHHOOOOOOOSSSHHHH!!!!
As 'divgradcurl' sucks all the fun out of this thread!! :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

divgradcurl said:
JETX and IAAL, I don't want to spoil your fun, but I thought just for the sake of completeness:

My response:

Oh, brother. As Jeff Foxworthy says, 'Divgradcurl', here's your card."

IAAL

colin24

divgradcurl said:
Let's say you're a plastic surgeon. Do you own the copyright for your client's new faces, or is it considered work-for-hire?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

colin24 said:
Let's say you're a plastic surgeon. Do you own the copyright for your client's new faces, or is it considered work-for-hire?

My response:

Can you tell us the month, day and year, and if possible, the time you became an idiot?

IAAL

Shay-Pari'e

colin24 said:
I picture heads in big jars full of pickle juice. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">