• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file an injuction without an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coby

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

How do I file and injunction for my former business partner to stop using the name of our company without paying me for it? We split over a year ago and have been in agreement at they would pay me for the name. They have been using the name for 15 months without interruption but has now stated that they don't want it anymore (and yet continue to use it), nor are they willing to pay for the use of it. How can I stop this before this goes on any further? I can't afford to involve an attorney so what are my options?

divgradcurl

You may be able to ask for a restraining order as part of a lawsuit, depending on the situation. In any event, you will need to file a lawsuit first, which can be done without a lawyer if you are willing to head down to a law library and research how to do it.

If the circumstances are right, you may be able to ask for and receive a temporary restraining order early in the case -- but based on what you have written (use of the company name for 15 months, etc.), it sounds like that would be an uphill battle.

Sue them for breach of contract, and ask for an order enjoining them from further use of the name as part of your prayer for relief -- it won't get you immediate relief, but based on what you have written, that would be the most likely route you would take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">