• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I forbid the use after getting copyright ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ol212

I am going to register my copyright for the website and logo.
It was published on-line about 10 months ago and the rights were not obtained yet.
I found out that my site was stolen.

Can I forbid the future use for the stolen website after the rights would be obtained?
Is there is only one option as a claim to the legal Court and shot it down through the court?

Thanks, Ol

divgradcurl

Once you have registered your copyright, you could get an injunction against the other person. This would require filing a lawsuit in a court that has jurisdiction over the person who is allegedly infringing on the copyright, and it would be up to you to prove infringement (registration gives you a presumption of ownership).

If either one of you is located outside the U.S., forget it. If you are outside the U.S., you will have to travel to the U.S. for a court case; if he is outside the U.S., he will be outside the jurisdiciton of the U.S. courts. I guess you could send a nasty letter and hope he gives in, but to actually enforce your copyright, you have to do that through the court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">