+ Reply to Thread
    gorude666 is offline Junior Member

Can I monetize my cover videos on Youtube?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Outside U.S.

I've got an email from Youtube, and they're offering me a chance to monetize my videos. Problem is, all my videos are cover videos (I sing along the songs that I don't have a right to claim) and Youtube is saying that I may have a problem with that.
    Can I monetize them if I state that 'no copyright infringement intended' or 'I don't have any rights to this song'?

And one more, I have a video(Gangnam Style cover) in which I changed the way of singing (clean/normal singing on the original song -> screaming in my video), and would that be able to cause a problem, too? Thanks for your help.
    Stevef is offline Senior Member
    That is covered by your ASCAP license.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    I suspect he doesn't have an ASCAP license, and even if he did it wouldn't provide all the rights he needs. Performance rights are only part of it. He'll need synch rights.
    Some of this has already been blanket obtained by You Tube, some he'd have to get individually.

http://support.google.com/youtube/bi...answer=2490081
    gorude666 is offline Junior Member
    First, (not important though) it's She. And no, I don't have an ASCAP license. But I'm wondering about Youtubers that earn money by doing cover videos? Well, of course they create a lot of parts on themselves, they use their own instrumental and voice and they shoot vids but nevertheless the songs they use are made by someone else. (For example hundreds of videos that are making money by covering We Are Never Ever Getting Back by Taylor Swift.) What about them? They are okay because they obtain ASCAP license or they create the whole video? Thanks for your advice.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    ASCAP only covers performance rights. YouTube already pays this fee, or else they would not be able to have any (licensed) music on their site period.
    I already posted the appropriate rules from YouTube. What "others" appear to be doing is a completely different thing than what you may or may not be able to accomplish.