• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I register a trademark...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Markr_85

I am based in the UK so I am only currently referring to UK law. Please excuse me if this question has already been answered, I have looked through the forums but not been able to find the same query.

I am in the process of registering a PLC, however the company name which I was about register, coincidentally was registered 6 months ago. I am still extremely keen to use this name as my brand. Currently this brand name is in use, but is not trademarked.

The only difference in between their company name and my proposed trading name is "the". I'm fairly certain that there's no way around this for me legally but thought I would check if it is possible for me to register this trademark to allow me to trade under this name?

Thanks in advance.

quincy

To go along with FlyingRon's link, here is a link for the benefit of other UK visitors to this site who have questions on trademark laws. The link is to the UK government's web page on trademark laws in the UK. The laws differ in some significant ways from the laws of the US.

https://www.gov.uk/topic/intellectual-property/trade-marks

For assistance with your trademark concerns, Markr_85, you should locate an IP attorney in your area of the UK. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">