• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I rent a product I have purchased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ikya9456

Pennsylvania

I want to know if I may purchase a video system, like Playstation Two or Gamecube or Xbox, put them in my place of business (a game arcade) and charge customers an hourly fee to come in and play the various games. My thought is that I may have to pay a fee to each manufacturer or get a license from each, but I don't know the details.....Please help

annefan

Contact the manufacturers of those games.

By the way, who on earth is going to pay an hourly fee to play on games that will probably be found in a friend's house, if not their own?
:p

racer72

This exact same question was asked last week and the answer is NO. The game units are sold for home use only and cannot be used in public settings. The companies that make these game consoles also make and/or license game machines for public use, the last thing they want is someone taking away the licensing fees from arcade game machines.

I

ikya9456

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Nintendo and they said I could use their system any way I see fit. They also said there was no license required........

I

ikya9456

racer72 said:
This exact same question was asked last week and the answer is NO. The game units are sold for home use only and cannot be used in public settings. The companies that make these game consoles also make and/or license game machines for public use, the last thing they want is someone taking away the licensing fees from arcade game machines.
Nintendo replied to my request and said that I could do whatever I want with their systems and there was no license needed. Thanks for your reply. I am waiting for Sony to respond...

I

ikya9456

annefan said:
Contact the manufacturers of those games.

By the way, who on earth is going to pay an hourly fee to play on games that will probably be found in a friend's house, if not their own?
Not everyone can afford these gaming systems. There are also folks who can afford only one or two different game systems. There are also folks who might want to try a certain game before purchasing it. Providing a place for them to cheaply use all three systems with a wide variety of games should attract customers. Go to a wall-mart or K-mart of whatever-mart and you see kids playing these systems nonstop.......
I got a reply from Nintendo. They said to use their system with no need for a license.
Thanks for your reply.

annefan

ikya9456 said:
Not everyone can afford these gaming systems.

If a person cannot afford these game systems, why on earth would you charge them for usage of yours? You ought to stop capitalizing off the backs of game manufacturers and invent something by your own talent. Now there's a novel business idea.

I

ikya9456

annefan said:
If a person cannot afford these game systems, why on earth would you charge them for usage of yours? You ought to stop capitalizing off the backs of game manufacturers and invent something by your own talent. Now there's a novel business idea.
If I charge say $5.00 an hour, they can play a variety of games they can not afford.
As far as capitalizing off the backs of other, would you say the same thing to an arcade owner who did not invent the game he rents a quarter at a time to his customers?
As for talent, currently, I work in a federal prison. Try it sometimes. It takes a lot of talent. I also have a small business of my own (A karate school). I also have written three novels and have had smaller articles published in national magazines. Although my novels are not the "novel idea" you had in mind, you can see that I am not some parasite looking to cash in on the sweat of others........
My idea of opening an arcade with gaming systems is currently just an idea, perhaps novel perhaps not. Time will tell........

annefan

Ok, ikya, but I've never encountered an arcade that provides the types of gaming systems you mentioned. PAC MAC... pin ball...maybe, not Grand Theft Auto or Perfect Dark.

By the way, five bucks an hour adds up to a hefty price for those who can't afford to purchase the systems outright.

And as for your remark that this would afford an inexpensive way for "folks who might want to try a certain game before purchasing it ", indeed. As you also stated: one can do this at "wall-mart or K-mart of whatever-mart" an an even LESS expense.

:confused:

I

ikya9456

annefan said:
Ok, ikya, but I've never encountered an arcade that provides the types of gaming systems you mentioned. PAC MAC... pin ball...maybe, not Grand Theft Auto or Perfect Dark.

By the way, five bucks an hour adds up to a hefty price for those who can't afford to purchase the systems outright.

And as for your remark that this would afford an inexpensive way for "folks who might want to try a certain game before purchasing it ", indeed. As you also stated: one can do this at "wall-mart or K-mart of whatever-mart" an an even LESS expense.

:confused:
As you stated, you've never encountered an arcade that provides this type of gaming system. Novel huh!

Five bucks was just a suggested price. That can be lowered or maintained depending upon the market.

When you go to wal-mart or whatever-mart, you will find the variety of games very limited. They also do not change much from week to week. Hence my thought of thirty or more games. I also have been in contact with other folks who test these games. They have told me that the company who makes them may be willing to provide the various games to me for free as a way of marketing them to the general public.......

But as I stated, it's still just an idea.

annefan

That's ok. You still should consider the capital expenditure to start up this type of thing (giving your nominal cost to consumers) assuming the manufacturers themselves aren't giving you free products. Unless, of course, you aren't concerned about recapturing the costs of starting the business.

D

DagnyChan

Annefan, your sig's cute.

ikya, your idea does sound novel. I have two pieces of advice for you and it sounds like you've been pretty successful already, so take it or leave it.

Draw up a sound business plan to decide for yourself whether or not you think this will work.

Don't listen to negative People.

(But thank annefan for providing you with a sounding board and maybe gettin' you a little fired up about your idea. Sometimes there's nothing like having to defend your idea...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">