• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i reprint old book illustrations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reddman

What is the name of your state? TN

I have an old childrens book originally published in 1913, and would like to reprint the illustrations for resale. I am aware that books published prior to 1923 are not covered by the Copyright Act.

Does this also apply to the illustrations?

C

ChicagoLawyer

book illustrations are generally covered by the same copyright as the book itself. However, there may be exceptions. Your best bet, if you are aware that the book itself is public domain, is to follow the chain of copyrights and ownership to the works of the illustrator. The artist may still have rights apart from what was given/licensed/used in the book.

This is not intended to be legal advice. Rather it is general advice only. Please contact an attorney. We have no attorney client relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">