• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sell software or music CD I bought online without breaking copyright law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Driver100WM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I bought TurboTax installation media earlier this year and used it. Can I now sell it to anyone, online or offline, who needs outdated TurboTax without copyright violation?

How does copyright law will apply if I wish to sell any music CDs I bought?

justalayman

to the cd's; you can sell the CD's if you wish. You cannot sell copies of the CD's nor can you retain copies of the CD's if you sell the CD.

I believe the same applies to the TurboTax software as well but I have not read any EULA's that may be associated with the software.

quincy

As justalayman said, under what is called "the first sale doctrine," the Copyright Act allows for a purchaser of a legal copy of a copyrighted work to sell or give away or dispose of or rent this copyrighted work to someone else, as long as the purchaser has not made a copy of the work to retain for themselves. Copying a copyrighted work infringes on the copyright holder's rights.

However, there are a few exceptions to the first sale doctrine and computer software often falls under that exception.

Computer software is generally not purchased but instead licensed for use by the software companies. These software licenses often prohibit the sale of the software. That is true for Turbo Tax software. Here is a link to their 2013 terms of use: https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/desktoplicense.jsp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">