• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for having a promo CD leaked?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arjay27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi all,

I was tricked into sending someone a pre-released album. The individual claimed to be a close friend but was actually someone impersonating them. It turns out that the album was leaked onto the internet two weeks early with my name watermarked to it. The music label now has all my information, claiming that I leaked it- but no information on the impersonator that truly leaked it. Who is at fault? What are the chances of me being sued for copyright infringement and can the impersonator be sued?

Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi all,

I was tricked into sending someone a pre-released album. The individual claimed to be a close friend but was actually someone impersonating them. It turns out that the album was leaked onto the internet two weeks early with my name watermarked to it. The music label now has all my information, claiming that I leaked it- but no information on the impersonator that truly leaked it. Who is at fault? What are the chances of me being sued for copyright infringement and can the impersonator be sued?

Thank you
YOU are at fault and quite frankly you can be found to have done many things wrong and be held liable for it. If you got this through your job, you can be fired. And by the way, YOU DID LEAK IT. You leaked it to your "close friend" whether or not that person was being impersonated.

quincy

Hi all,

Thank you
Both you and the person you sent the album to can be sued for infringement - and, depending on all facts (what music label, what album, how wide-spread the distribution was), the odds are very good that you both will be sued.

Damages awarded for an infringement of the sort you are talking here can be extremely high. I strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney in your area now.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">